Search

Friday, April 12, 2013

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken


Summary on GoodReads.

I had to stop reading this book because:
#1.- Ruby was going to give me an ulcer. She is the queen of wimps; scared of even breathing. What is the point of making her a wimpy shit if at the end she is going to save the story?

#2.- Lack for information: a virus has turned kids into little X-men... what do they do exactly? They are assigned colors according to their abilities... which are what, exactly? Yes again.

#3.- Those kids who didn't turn into super heroes in the making died. Just dropped dead. Why? Was it the virus?

#4.- The new powerful children are taken to camps and the most dangerous ones are killed. Why? There was no chance at talking to them or something? Nope, just plain killed.

#5.- Apparently, parents are the ones turning their own kids in. Seriously? I my son suddenly becomes a little Cyclopes I would do anything to protect him.


#6.- So Ruby is taken to this camp when she was 10 and now she is 16. She has barely talked in her time there. She's had no glance of the outside world: no books, no music, no tv, no nothing. Yet, the night she is "rescued" she recognizes "the ebb and flow of Pink Floyd synthesizers" on the radio (p. 63). Seriously? 


#7.- And what’s up with the guards in the camp being sadistically cruel to the children? Why? Where did that come from? And all of them? 


In short, I was totally in love with the beginning of the book and my hands were shaking of excitement until I reached page 63. From there one, Ruby's lack of personality, character and depth annoyed me and I got sick and nauseous of constantly reading how scared she was to move, to think or to breath. On top of that, every other sentence contained "please.... and forgive me." 


I mean, she didn't need to be Xena (not even Gabriel), but that pathetic and self-pitiful?


7 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:13 PM

    I am really loving the theme/design of your site. Do you ever run into any internet browser compatibility issues?
    A few of my blog visitors have complained about my website not operating correctly in
    Explorer but looks great in Safari. Do you have any tips to help fix this issue?


    Look at my web site - Get More Information

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:10 AM

    Hi, i believe that i noticed you visited my web site
    thus i got here to go back the favor?.I'm attempting to to find things to improve my website!I suppose its good enough to use some of your concepts!!

    Here is my web-site ... Sac Louis Vuitton

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:28 AM

    Hello friends, its impressive piece of writing on the topic of cultureand entirely defined,
    keep it up all the time.

    My web-site - Boutique Air Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:35 AM

    Heya i am for the first time here. I found this
    board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something
    back and aid others like you helped me.

    My weblog; Wholesale Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:32 PM

    Hi there to all, the contents existing at this website are truly awesome
    for people experience, well, keep up the good work fellows.


    my web-site Home Page

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:31 AM

    Hi, i feel that i saw you visited my blog thus i came to return the choose?
    .I'm attempting to to find things to enhance my website!I guess its good enough to make use of a few of your ideas!!

    Feel free to surf to my blog post; beats sell

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:21 AM

    This text is priceless. How can I find out more?


    My web page - Chaussure De Foot ()

    ReplyDelete