Search

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Diviners by Libba Bray



Summary on GoodReads.

At page 96, I don't think I want to continue reading 600 pages of jargon from the 1920's.

I'm starting to suspect that Libba Bray wrote so much just to show off her knowledge of the era. I've read 100 pages and haven't really read anything. Yes, I know what the book is about from the summary, but it's taking forever to get there!

Page 220: More chit-chat. Evie tries to become famous by having her name and picture printed on the newspaper in exchange for inside information about the murders. No mention whatsoever of her ability and lots of descriptions of streets and other places.

Page 450: I can't take it any longer. My eyes are closing. My brain froze. I'm dropping this compendium of 1926. And I’m not apologizing for not liking a book that (it seems) everybody else liked.

I didn’t care for any of the characters and I got tired of Evie up and bright mood. Kudos to Bray for the extensive research on the era; she does a marvelous job depicting NYC in 1926. This book can be taken as historical reference.

In short: if you take away the history tour of NY in 1926, the book could've been written in about 300 pages, Jesus! And this is only book one! Poor trees :-(

5 comments:

  1. Haha, I liked the book, but I do understand what you mean - this book was unnecessarily long. It did feel dragging at times, and while I enjoyed it overal, I struggled, too. I'm sorry you had to endure all that and not even like it in the end! *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting... I have heard soooo much about this book. Think I will put it on hold and see if I like it or not!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been torn about reading this one...so maybe I won't. :) I kinda felt this way about A Perfect Proposal...even though it wasn't 600 pages, the story could have been told in about 100. Sometimes the extra pages are worth it. Sometimes not. What are you reading now???? Hope it's a good one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Awesome review! I haven't read The Diviners, but this is exactly what I was sure I would think about the book! I don't think I'll be reading it anytime soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LMAO! That was a great review. I tried reading the book, I got about 80 pages in and just stopped. I couldn't take it. It was going no where.

    It's too bad because I really liked A Great and Terrible Beauty. I was hoping it would be something like that. Nope. Glad I didn't waste my time.

    ReplyDelete