Search

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Human point 4 by Mike A. Lancaster


Summary on GoodReads.

This is the quickest book I’ve ever read. In a good way.

It has a few holes in the story (at least for me) and I have a few unanswered questions left too; I’ll ask them at the end not to spoil anything.

Two teenagers, Kyle and Lilli, and 2 adults volunteer to be hypnotized by Danny (Kyle’s friend) in a talent show. When they “wake up” the world has change. What happened in those few minutes that they were under hypnosis?

A few explanations came to mind: alien invasion (obviously), parallel universes, they were not really awake but still hypnotized… well, the answer is more interesting :- )

I feel I need to explain about the 3 stars, though. I am not in my way to fall in love with the book but I didn’t have to manage to finish it either. In fact, I really wanted to know what was going on!

********Possible spoilers to follow *********

Here come my issues with the story:

#1) At the beginning for the story (page 10) it says that they lived in a town in the middle of nowhere without access to high-speed broadband. Yet, when the Kyle, Lilly and the rest come from the hypnosis and see everything changed, their first thoughts are to go online to find out what is going on. Hmm… dial-up, then? I guess…

#2) As I understand it, everything happened in about 2 hours but, how come Annete (another friend) who didn’t change like the rest of the town’s people already knew what was going on. Even better, she knew enough of what was happening to want to change too.

#3) When they woke up, everybody was frozen so they went into town to figure things out. After a few minutes, they see everybody coming into town back from the talent show where they were frozen, moving, and a bit later (again) everybody is back at the talent show frozen again (well, kind of). What the hell is this?

#4) If everybody changed, why Danny didn’t change either?

Well, this is not a story that wowed me but the concept was interesting and very original. The book, overall, felt empty but I was glued to the pages to find out what the heck was going on, nonetheless.

1 comments:

  1. I've wondered about this book so I was glad when I saw your review. Hmm, maybe I might pick up it...eventually?!?

    ReplyDelete