Search

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Angelfall by Susan Ee

Read the summary on GoodReadds.

I'm in love!!! And this time is not with a werewolf (Twilight) but an angel.

Me, who tried reading Fallen and Daughter of Smoke and Bone and couldn't even finish them.

Angelfall... (sigh). Okay, Nobody knows why (not even me) angels invaded earth and are destroying everything and everyone. Raffe is an angel who in an ugly fight gets his wings cut off. Luckly for him, Penryn was around to help him. But no, she is not helping him because she loves him already but because her little sister Paige was taken by an angel and she is determined to rescue her.

The first awesome thing about this book is that there's no kindred spirit, insta love, you are the reincarnation of my loved one so that's why I love you shit. Actually, I finished the book and haven't read the first tiniest glimpse of cliche-love.

Second: Penryn can fight; but unlikely Brooke in Arena One: slave runners (Book #1 of the Survival Trilogy), Penryn has a reason to know how to fight. She also has her priorities in order and is always focus. She's smart and vulnerable but always took care of herself and didn't need Raffe to "rescue" her.

Third: Ee didn't kill the parents, well the mother, right away. In fact, her mother is very much alive and kicking. I like her character too.

Forth: (which really should be second), Raffe doesn't have super powers! Other angel/demon books I've read are insipid because of the insta love and super powers factor. In Angelfall Raffe is almost human... but not. He is not all that (beautiful, yes) either. I could feel his pain (when suffering) and I could feel his emotions.

I can't wait for the other books to come out!

I will repeat it, I am totally in love with this book. The writing style, the characters, the feelings... One thing I didn't get is why the angel invasion/apocalypse? But, it is all the better like that because I'm sure that is material for (I hope) many books to come.


And finally, I just love this cover. It says a lot more than the other one to me. It gives me a better idea of where Raffe's wings were severed and what the wound must look like.



5 comments:

  1. "Smart and vulnerable" sounds like a cliche to me...

    I agree about the cover. You are so excited about the book, that I guess I'll have to read it even though I hate fallen angel stories.

    Hope it's worth it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is vulnerable but doesn't need the angel to protect her. She took care of herself all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I'm so glad I put it on my Good, Bad, & Ugly! I helped you find love again!! :) LOL! And I completely agree about the cover. I'm very glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this whole review! You dragged me into enjoying reading it from the very start! I love repetition and your use was incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is a strong and interesting story. I'm always afraid of the sequels, because sometimes I really like the first book and the following books are a disappointment. I hope the next is also as good. Susan Ee has a difficult task ahead.

    ReplyDelete