Search

Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan

Summary on GoodReads.

Why did I love this book? Well, because it is NOT what I thought it would be. I was expecting a book about survival on a boat from another aspect. Oh! Don’t get me wrong, the book does cover how they managed with little water and no food, but I think it was more about surviving as individuals than as a group… or maybe it was just the opposite?

I mean, the boat was over crowded, 39 people were on it when it only had capacity for half of it. So, unless some of the passengers “volunteer” to go into the water, the boat was going to sink. Would you sacrifice yourself for a greater good?

Also, a murder takes place on the little boat; a murder that might have been necessary for the survival of the group… or maybe not. Are you held accountable for someone else’s life under these circumstances?

The story also covers other interesting moral questions and ethical dilemmas that we might come upon when abandoning a sinking ship and… swimming for one’s life.

And can you believe that on such little boat, when people should work together to ensure their survival, instead power, hierarchy and trusting issues would arise?

So much was happening on that little boat that it kept me glue to the book. I also liked and enjoyed Rogan’s writing style and the suspense created. The book is totally worth it!

Different opinions here and here.

2 comments:

  1. I'm convinced, I'll have to read this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting book(:

    ReplyDelete