Search

Loading...

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Stolen: a letter to my captor by Lucy Christopher

Summary on GoodReads

In a heart-breaking letter, Gemma tells Ty, her captor, how she felt (and feels) when he kidnapped her.

Sixteen year old Gemma is at the airport with her parents on a trip to Vietnam when she sees this older guy checking her out. Of course she is thrilled to get the attention of cute older men; because he is cute. Ty offers to buy her coffee and next thing Gemma knows she wakes up in an unknown place.

Why would a good looking guy who wouldn’t have any trouble picking up girls kidnap her? Stolen reminds me of Still Missing because both captors seek the love of their victims.
Unlike Still Missing, Stolen doesn’t have any sexual content. The book is more like a forced love story: Ty wants Gemma to love him.

In the book Gemma tells Ty how she feels and how she felt when she woke up to find that attractive guy she was having coffee with as her kidnapper; and against all rationality, she finds herself emotionally attached to him.

What I didn’t like: I find Ty’s explanation of why he kidnapped Gemma lacking reason. I mean, I would understand why a psychopath would do something like that, but Ty is not a psychopath (or is he? It didn’t seem so to me) so his motives to go after Gemma were weak and not convincing.

I did like the take on Stockholm syndrome in the story which reminded of Captive in the Dark minus the BDSM. I can also compare Stolen to But I Love Him in terms tackling on the romance of unhealthy relationships.

The book does a nice job describing the confused feelings of a teenager falling for her bad guy and I did enjoy that Gemma fought back. She didn’t just accept her situation and cried for help. She actually did something to help herself.

I don’t know why the book is catalogued as thriller because the entire book is Gemma’s letter to Ty. There’s no search party or investigation going on although would’ve been nice to see what kind of leads the police would’ve come up with. Likewise, I would have liked to see the reaction of Gemma’s parents when they discovered her missing at the airport.

Different opinions here and here.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting book, I really like the cover for some reason! I found you through Book Blogs and I am now your newest follower! You're blog is adorable! Hope you're having a great night and stop by for a visit sometime if you get the chance. :)

    Leigh Ann
    MaMa's Book Corner

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Ty kidnapped Gemma because he was kind of obsessed with her :) I do think that his reason was pretty good though...although I don't agree with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, had issues with Ty's reasons behind why he kidnapped Gemma. And I know we didn't get to know about a search for her or her parents' reaction, but in a way I felt this was sort of intentional...like maybe her parents didn't really notice she was missing? I mean, of course they did, but their relationship was made out to seem as though maybe they wouldn't notice her not being there. But overall, I really liked this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely like to read a continuing book about the search for Emma

      Delete
  4. Awesome review! Here's mine if you don't mind: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/12/stolen-by-lucy-christopher.html

    Thanks and have a nice day! :)

    ReplyDelete