Search

Friday, November 9, 2012

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

Summary on GoodReads.

This book is too obvious!

Cliché #1) Echo and Noah dislike each other. Echo thinks Noah is a jerk and Noah thinks Echo is frivolous and cold. 1+1 = 2.

Cliché #2) Echo needs a job and Noah needs tutoring. 1+1 = 2.

Cliché #3) Echo is beautiful and has a killing body but she thinks no guy is going to love her because of the scars on her arms.

Cliché #4) Noah doesn’t flinch at the scars.

Cliché #5) Echo hides her scars and one day decides to bare them. Everybody in the school laughs when they see her arms… really? In what State do high school kids do that? Not in New York!

Should I keep going?

Okay.

Cliché #6) Echo doesn’t like her stepmother but at the end realizes she’s been wrong and makes peace with her.

Cliché #7) Noah doesn’t do dating, proms, dances, etc. In fact, he’s never been in love and he plans to stay that way but…. After two talks with Echo he is in love.

Cliché #8) Echo had an accident (thus the scars on her arms) and she can’t remember what happened but at the end she does.

Cliché #9) Luke, Echo’s first boyfriend can’t handle her scars.

Cliché #10) Echo has a dead brother. She can't cope with his death.

Cliché #11) Beth, Noah’s friend is a bitch and she can’t stand Echo… for half of the book. Then she becomes her friend (or kind of). I believe book #2 has to do with Beht’s story.

I’m going to stop here. Those are all the issues I have with the book. Should I say I hate clichés? Yet I gave the book 3-stars because Noah’s emotions are really powerful. In fact, his life is such an emotional rollercoaster that at one point, when he stopped acting tough, broke down and cried, my eyes actually watered!

Yeap, that scene felt so real that almost made cry.

I also like that McGarry acknowledges the weirdness of the name Echo and makes fun of it.

Oh! And I almost forgot cliché #12) Noah is smoking hot! So they will make perfect babies :- )
Definitely read it if you want to be swept away by romance.

Different reviews here and here.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like one of those highschool romance stories nd I can guess the ending . I don't see The scar thing as a really major problem tho ...but I could read it cause I like romance genres

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! I'm sad that you didn't like it as much as I did but hey, to each his own, right? I agree with you on how powerful Noah's emotions are!

    Lyra @ Defiantly Deviant

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! Didn't expect it to be like that

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. there are some cliche parts I must admit, but it isn't stupid like the other cliche books. I was fricken intrigued the whole time and the book was so powerful. The characters were also amazing. YOU'RE SO JUDGMENTAL! You can't deny that you enjoyed the story ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha! Totally agree with you. But like you, I still got emotionally connected to Noah at times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bahahahaha. I gave this book a 5 star rating. I admit that it's saturated with cliches but I still enjoyed it. I am softie by nature so you can imagine that all throughout the story, I was crying like a maniac.

    This may sound melodramatic but both Echo and Noah's stories left a permanent mark in my heart. xD Anyway, great review, Lectus.

    Sorry if this is a late reaction seeing that this is a 2012 post but I just read the book last November 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I did make produce a tear or two :-
      I didn't love it, but I gave it three stars!

      Delete