Search

Loading...

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Blood Red Road by Mira Young

Summary on GoodReads.

I read in a blog a recommendation of Blood Read Road for those who liked Grave Mercy. Why, I wonder? These two books have nothing in common.

In Blood Red Road there’s no quotation marks (“ “) to distinguish dialogue which makes it a little difficult to follow but it is something that you can quickly get used to once you get the hang of it.

Seba is the twin sister of Lugh and he means the world to her. They live with their father and little sister Emmi in a deserted land where the nearest neighbor is four leagues away.
Their father can read the future in the stars but, what is this gift good for if he cannot do anything to change what he sees coming?

One day, riders show up in the middle of a sand storm to take Lugh away. Why? All that is clear is that they want him because he was born in midwinter. Of course, Seba being his twin was born in midwinter too, but they are not interested in her. Again, why? - you find out later in the story :-) So the riders take Lugh, kill their father and leave Seba and Emmi behind.

Of course Seba sets out to find Lugh… and here start the similarities with Arena One (The Survival Trilogy) by Morgan Rice.

In fact, Blood Red Road is so much like Arena One that I had to go back to the cover and title to make sure what book I was actually reading.

Seba is taken prisoner for cage fighting in a coliseum. Of course she wins all the fights and soon becomes to be known as the Angel of Death because she kills anyone who fights against her. How can Saba, a girl who was raised in a shelter win every cage fight? When, and I mean on what page of the book, did she develop the skills to make her a winner? And for someone who had never been among people other than her immediate family, she sure is not afraid of strangers! Aren’t you even a bit shy when facing a crowd? Well, all I can say is that Seba is an apocalyptic future Xena: the warrior princes!

How can a book that started with so much promise become another girl-fight novel escapes me…

What I liked: the dialect. It reminds me of the series Chaos Walking. Both Young and Ness create a unique world with their own dialect that if not easily followed at first but it definitely distinguishes the book and makes it different. And yes, once you get into it, it becomes totally enjoyable.

How does Seba escape her prisoners? What happens to little Emmi? Does she find Lugh?
All this is revealed in a book that lost its appeal to me. But if you are a fan Arena One and that type of books you are going to love Blood Red Road.

Note: and why is this book even compared to Hunger Games? It seems to me that every book with a badass girl that fights it's being compared to Katniss. No, no and no. This has nothing like Hunger Games in it…

Different views here and here.

5 comments:

  1. The questions you asked are all revealed in the book as you progress. you find out why they were interested in Lugh and not Saba, and why the Dad died and EVERYTHING. It's a phenomenal story but they don't hand you all the info on a shiny plate.
    the writing style is irritating at first, but once you get a good couple cahpters in, you can't even tell the difference anymore. Try it again,PLEEEAASE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lectus1:42 PM

    Never Rola, never!
    Oh! I know why they wanted Lugh and not Seba! Maybe I should make that clear in the review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lectus1:42 PM

    Ohhh! And I also know how she got those superpowers but I find it silly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate when books are compared to other books like that, it creates expectations and often leads to the reader being disappointed. I listened to Blood Red Road on audio because of the awkward writing style and I absolutely loved it. I got an advance copy of the sequel though and could not get through it. I had to wait for the audio again. I haven't read Arena One, I'll have to check that one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they hurt books when making those types of comparisons! Each book is unique. You can compare the writing style, but definitely not the action.

      Delete