Search

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Have you read a mashup?

Ever since the publication of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, mashups (usually the combination of a classic work of fiction with a popular genre such as vampires, zombies and androids to mention a few) are becoming increasingly popular.

It only takes one hit book (Twilight, Fifty Shades of Grey, etc.) for a pattern to follow.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is the first mashup hit that I can think of (it was on the #1 New York Times selling list for eight months) that gave rise to this trend. Maybe there were other before, but I didn't hear of them.

Unfortunately, I haven't read any mashup yet. Have you? Are they any good? what did you like about it?

Here is a short list of popular mashups that combine classic works of literature or historical characters with popular genres:

Alice in Zombieland
Alice in Deadland
Pride and Prejuide and Zombies
Sense and Sensibility and Sea Mosters
Emma and the Vampires
George Washington Werewolf
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter
Theodore Roosevelt Vampire Slayer
Thomas Jefferson Zombie Killer
Wuthering Heights and a Werewolf … and a Zombie too
The Undead World of Oz
Android Karnina


Another mashup trend is publishing the parody of a popular book like Pride and Platypus: Mr. Darcy Dreadful Secret, but more about that next Saturday.

3 comments:

  1. I am going to get Alice in Zombieland but I heard it's more like a parody instead of a mash-up. I want to read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite liked Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, but I haven't actually read the rest...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great list! I just finished Sense and Sensibility so I hope to read the Seamonsters mash up soon. Android Karnina sounds interesting but I would have to read the original first.

    ReplyDelete