Search

Loading...

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Railsea by China Mieville

Read the synopsis on Goodreads.

I had read about how great this book is and how Mieville got inspired on Moby-Dick to write it that I thought I was actually going to enjoy it. But nope this one went to the list of ‘abandoned’ books that I won’t pick up again.

Sham Yes ap Soorap travels with a crazy captain who is obsess hunting for a the beast that took her arm. Yeap, in this one the captain is a she. One day they come upon a wrecked train that is just the beginning of something bigger and more dangerous.

The concept of the story is interesting but Mieville tries to deliver too much fantasy in such a complicated way that it just lost its appeal.

What I liked: the drawings.

What I didn’t like: The writing. I’m just not a fan of so complicated & weird writing. He uses the symbol ‘&’ instead of ‘and’ and other things that should make the writing unique but that just confused me.

Bloggers who liked it here and here.

3 comments:

  1. Good review. I read his City & The City and didn't like that one. This one probably won't pick up! Are you still writing on www.Lunch.com?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am. I haven't posted there in a while because I don't have internet at home :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mieville's works can be challenging reads, however. He makes up words, which you figure out the meaning of as you go along. And he doesn't start with pages of expository material: he plunks you down right in the middle of things, and you discover the world around you just as you would if you had suddenly woken up in it, not knowing where you were. In the end, it's worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete