Search

Loading...

Friday, August 10, 2012

Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne


Read the synopsis on Goodreads.

Firstable, this book is a great read for boys!

I’d been waiting to read this book for a while and I’m glad it didn’t disappoint me. What I liked most of this book was the Dean’s sincerity. Just because the world seems to be ending people don’t need to start acting like saints (I guess I’m evil). His feelings and desires kept on going Ah! Yes, in case you’re wonder who this Dean is, he is the main character.

Fourteen kids are trapped in a superstore (think Walmart, or Target) and they have to learn to trust and deal with each other in order to survive. They are mean and they don’t hold their tongues back. They are tired of taking care of the little ones and the bigger ones are not exactly fan of each other.

The book reminded a little bit of that movie The Mist but with kids. This book would make a really cool movie.

What I didn’t like: there wasn’t any explanation of the kind of world they were living in and why a couple of things were out of use. However this wasn’t bad to the point to stop me from enjoying and finishing the book. I guess Laybourne wanted to get directly to the action without wasting time explaining a world that we weren’t going to see much about, anyway.

Not so favorable reviews here and here.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm glad to hear that this didn't disappoint! My copy of the book (courtesy of a friend :D) is currently on the way, I think, so I'm super excited to get started. :) Too bad about the lack of world building, though. There's going to be a sequel, so I guess the author might write more about it there?

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG1 That book! I finally have Monument 14 and it is a ARC! I can't wait to read it.

    Like your review:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one has really intrigued me and I definitely plan to pick it up eventually. Always great to see another positive review! Such an interesting concept.

    regards,
    grace (Alaska Bear Hunting)

    ReplyDelete